Monday, September 10, 2012







I'll give a second hand report on Cassy's Sunday, as my weekend was, although full, largely consumed with watching football of two codes with a rugby game thrown in for good measure.

We started the annual semi-finals footy fest with a trip to Patio 84 (the old Green Bar) where Wol and I met up with Brandon and Shaun and an eclectic mix of other folk to watch the big Friday night showdown of traditional rivals Hawthorn and Collingwood. As luck would have it, the NRL game between Manly and the Bulldogs was being broadcast concurrently on the other big screen, so I was set, except for the fact that I nearly threw my neck out trying to watch both games at the same time. The night lasted beyond the games and an assorted coterie of characters entertained us for many hours.

On Saturday, we reprised our roles at the same venue, before going over to Shaun's place at half-time to continue the viewing. On Sunday, when Cass went on her downtown jaunt, I amused myself by watching yet another two games, this time, the programmers took mercy on me and had the two games only slightly overlapping.

Cassy's colleague's wife was the director of a live dramatic production downtown on Sunday, so she and her long-time friend, Kristin, decided to make a day of it. After some research on the area, it was easy to locate a suitable restaurant just round the corner from the theatre, and they made their way down there via MRT in the shadows of high noon. Taipei continues to sustain a withering summer heat and they managed to escape the bulk of it by staying below ground on the train till quite near their destination. "Chianti" provided a surprisingly fine meal for them and they were impressed to the point to promise a revisit some time in the future. Another interesting attraction was the massive, stand-alone "Hello Kitty" dessert restaurant (jealous Helen?!) next door. Not only did it pay homage to Japan's most resilient and cutest lifestyle icon, but attracted a fine young crowd of all Taipei's cutest and trendiest girls, who flocked in twittering packs of high socks and short skirts in and out of the establishment all afternoon. It was a hustle and bustle that we don't see here in comparatively sleepy Tienmu and the energy of the area got them all set for their afternoon of high art.

It was short few blocks to the "Red Room", where the dramatics were to begin in the mid-afternoon. The first act was less attractive, but the shortened radio play style of Macbeth after interval was more impressive. The talents of the amateur cast were high, especially the young lead (a recent graduate from our school) whose efforts were even more remarkable as he had just 4 days to prepare after being drafted into the role at late notice. There was an array of teachers from school in attendance along with a stack of others, making the small venue rather packed. Its huffing air-conditioner worked overtime to cool the overheated audience and cast, but all in all, the afternoon was declared a success. After some Starbuck's coffee with yet another colleague after the show, they forwent the delights of a packed underground train system to get a taxi home.

We were able to decadently overstay our usual bedtime owing to a later than usual start this morning due to a PD day. To my horror, when we sauntered in 10 minutes before time, I was horrified to see my entire divisional faculty sequestered away in the LS library paying rapt attention to the visiting guru: I'd got the times wrong! Compounding my error, I tried to sneak in quietly through the back door, only to have the alarm shriek in protest, the assembled throng turned as one to bust my stealthy entrance and the speaker said, "Someone, please search that man!" So much for that!

Cass is away at a steering dinner at Eddie's Cantina tonight, so I'm about to indulge in a tea out on the street...at this stage, cuisine unknown! Photos are of Cassy at  a team lunch at a colleague's house, a few final shots of my room before we get moved into new premises soon and a few of the play venue and Hello Kitty. I've just finished "The Drop" and I'm going to try a biography on the great Sonny Liston next. Cass is onto something else, but I'm not sure what: I'll update next week. Adios!