Sunday, February 22, 2009





Today was just about the best day, weather wise, one could possibly request. Soaring blue skies with those white clumpy cotton bud clouds just peeking into the corner and just enough breeze would waft in every now and then to take the edge off the slow cooking sun. Out on the coast it was just so amazing. I swam out from the far end of Green Bay beach into a surprisingly crisp yet equally blue ocean and lay about 100 metres offshore “starfishin” floating, only my face above water being spun slowly round in the current watching those little clouds move back and forth. Swimming back, everything seemed in such sharp relief and so clean. It’s one of those moments that you know will linger in the memory for a time to come. As I emerged from the water after bodysurfing a little shooter in to shore, two parasailors dropped down on the sand, the second one botching his landing a little and came perilously close to a watching Cassy, who had been blissing out in the sun sitting on the concrete wall by the road! The sail got wrapped around a few street signs, but all was well, and the little drama just added to our lovely little sojourn in the sun. The surf was below par, but it allowed us a really great relaxing time at the beach this morning and into the afternoon. It’s still supposed to be winter!!

We went to see “Valkyrie” at the movies yesterday and were very impressed. Tom Cruise might be a complete nutter as a person, but he can act. The support cast was a galaxy of stars and each did a sterling job. We quickly got used to the “Germans” speaking English, and the whole story was quite compelling. It was relatively early after we left the flics, so we scootered down to Alleycats pizza to dine in as we thought we’d avoid the “school crowd”. We did fairly well, as only one other colleague couple wandered in. The food was its usual top taste and we reveled in a large serve of crappy TV before retiring!

My phone finally died a natural death on Friday. The last straw for me was missing about the 3rd relatively important text, as the phone was developing a mind of its own and deciding to switch itself off and on at weird and irregular intervals. The new one is not very jazzy as I was too tight to pay too much, but it has a camera and other stuff, most of which I can’t use because I’m on a prepaid plan, but it does the trick. The iPod Touch is still my go-to machine for internet etc as well as music, so this little guy, who can do all that, will just be able to chill out and perform some basic functions!

Cass had her book club meeting on Friday night at Charlene’s and all went well, the books, food and refreshment more than palatable and the company friendly and entertaining. My company was similar and I joined up with a few guys I don’t normally get together with, but we had a great time. The photo was taken at the “Indian” beer house, which is just a cheap Chinese restaurant with cheapish beer that I famously took Cass to dinner at on our anniversary 7 years ago. I had not done my usual research and I mistook the Indian beer sign for an Indian restaurant! Oh well, I know most have been better than that one!

Photos today: Cass on the phone to her parents when we got home from school, me ready to “do the steps”. Me in tie (very rare for me these days), today on the cliff, and the boys at the “Indian”.