Sunday, February 15, 2009





Cass had to take a couple of days off this week, partly because she felt so bad and partly because she couldn’t utter more than a very strained whisper. She really copped this bug with both barrels, and she’s only just feeling a little better today and her voice is still a little croaky.

It was another Friday night of reminiscing when Peter Coombs lobbed back into town and we all caught up at the Green Bar. It was also a very strange feeling for us, as we hadn’t been to the Green Bar two weeks running for many years. “Coomba” had arrived from Hong Kong with his girlfriend Karen for the weekend and was keen to catch up with a few people. Wal set it all up for people to meet at a certain time and quite a good crowd showed up, a few just dropping in to say “hi” and a few more settling in to hear all the latest, including the fact that Peter did the Hong Kong marathon last Sunday! Apparently he was hearing the approaching footsteps of his 40th birthday quite loudly, and decided if he was going to do it, it had better be now. We all had a great laugh at his expense watching the video of him crossing the line: he couldn’t get out of a “Cliffy Young shuffle” as his legs had all but seized up at the 30 km mark. Karen was a very interesting person and very enjoyable company: we could all see the attraction. Cass reckons it was like bringing the girl home to meet the parents, getting the Taipei boys to meet her!

I managed to get an extra stairs session in today and was walking solidly for about 2 hours. I investigated right to the end of the monkey trail then went beyond, tracking the river ever upwards through very peaceful little home gardens and rustic little cottages dotting the path at irregular intervals. The rush of the water was ever present and even though it was quite a warm day, seemed to have a cooling effect as well. In the end, the path rose to the back road to Yangminshan, almost up to the Starbucks and 7/11 there….that’s a long walk! While I was doing that, Cass went for a little recovery walk to Takashimaya (which pretty much exhausted her in her weakened state) and got some hand cream, some delicious smoked salmon and horseradish mustard sandwiches for lunch and had a general look around at the beautiful things.

We watched the movie “Milk” this weekend as well and thoroughly enjoyed it. I’m a real fan of Sean Penn, and although I’m more used to seeing him do the tough guy, he was great in this as well. He nearly lost me a few years back with that awful, “I am Sam”, but I’m glad I gave him another chance!

I asked Cass if she wanted me to write anything more and she reminded me of a few things. She was keen that everyone knows that she manicured the cats with my help…one in particular is very resistant: you’d think we were trying to amputate her front legs! She also reminded me of the dinner we had down at Wendel’s on Friday night before we went out. It was great as usual and the food was excellent along with slick service and classy décor.

We’ve had a great weekend, it’s good to have Cass “alive” again and we’re looking forward to sitting down to watch the big Twenty 20 game between the Aussies and the Kiwis right now! Photos: one Cathy sent me of last Friday night with me and Cathy, Chad and Shaun. Also, me and 3 of my Grade 3 ESL boys at the lantern festival on Wednesday and a few more lanterns and marching guards. (Cassy refused to let me photograph her this week: apparently she didn’t look her best!)