Monday, September 15, 2008




Typhoon Sinlaku basically kept us indoors from Friday till Monday and we came to work in pouring rain this morning, I got my trousers soaked, while Cass wore thongs and rolled up pants! Even though I tried to get a surf on Sunday morning in the eye of the storm (it lasted about 4 hours as it was moving so slowly), the surf was not really doing it and there were cops everwhere ready to bust the unsuspecting foreign surfer with a $NT50,000 fine.
Mid week I was bowled over again by the generosity of the Taiwanese. I had commented on a little third grade kid's t-shirt the day before (he had on a "HOG" Taiwan chapter shirt) and I told him I loved the shirt as I had a Harley. The next day, the kid came in and presented me with a brand new, collectors edition shirt for staff only from the local Harley franchise out at Neihu! It is very cool and the special bit is it has the Taiwan flag insignia embroidered onto the sleeve.

Friday was kind of fun as we watched some AFL up at Wally's place before venturing down to Hsyin Yi to see the band "QvQ" strut their stuff at Bliss for the last time before it closes down, re-vamps itself, whatever.

Cassy had her camp postponed this week, which is bitter sweet as she now has to go in March. At least she didn't have to deal with the after effects of the typhoon up at Fulong campground: that would have made life terribly miserable.

I've managed to continue doing my steps walking 4 times in the past week and get to my Chinese lessons. I'm really struggling for motivation with the Chinese: maybe I'm getting too old, but things just don't seem to stick language wise, like they used to.

The internet went off some time on Saturday and refused to restore itself for at least 24 hours, but we were thankful that neither the water nor the electricity decided to go out, as it did do for over 80,000 houses in the north here. Suffice to say, we watched lots of footy (4 different codes) and lots of Entourage on DVD (many series worth!). I haven't seen Cass today, as I had a meeting today at the time we usually meet for lunch, another one at 2, then yet another at 2.45 till 4. I'm absolutely spewing because for the first time since April we have some swell hanging around and I could have gone over with Dan, but 4pm is just too late.

OK, rant over, you can tell I'm not in my usual upbeat mood, so I'll keep it short today!!
Photos: Rather lacklustre "eye of the typhoon" surf at Green ball, marauding goats at Pillbox hinterland eating everything not nailed down, the boys at Wal's watching the footy and my little mate presenting me with the Harley shirt and sporting (removable!) Harley tattoo.