Monday, February 13, 2006


















The computer is back up and running, so to celebrate, I’ve been downloading all sorts of stuff to keep us entertained. We have the brilliant first series of House, which we’re watching slowly and the movies, Pride and Prejudice, Wolf Creek, Little Fish, Look both Ways and Munich. I’m currently downloading the second series of Lost, or at least all they have shown in America so far.

We watched Munich on TV at home on the weekend, but went out to Warner Village to see the brilliant Johnny Cash biopic, “Walk the Line”. What great fun this movie was and it reminded me a lot of “Ray”, a very similar storyline and life adventure. Cass and I decided to see it early and then go to lunch afterwards and enjoyed some luscious curry in the depths of the Jasper Villa complex. We had a pleasant wander through the Eslite bookstore on the top floor and then picked up the scooter to get home. I’d left poor “Blackie” on Friday night after a few beers at the Green and decided that a taxi home was more responsible.

Work and play has been fairly unremarkable this week. We’ve been homebodies a lot, Cass having some grading to do and me with my omnipresent courses to wade through. Wading seems right, actually it feels more like drowning in thick sucking mud; hard to imagine how I’ll ever get out of it. I need to keep telling myself it will all be over soon and my amazing quest for knowledge and my love of “life long learning” will come to an abrupt, shuddering halt fairly soon. That will be a day for real celebration!

Back to our boring life at the moment, it all seems to be about movies or TV! Munich was a fairly predictable Spielberg story; the Arabs in particular annoyed me, as Spielberg seems too content to just display them as stereotypically, hysterical, maniacal cartoon cutouts. He really needs to get a better balance, as I think this spoiled an otherwise fine movie. I remember the Munich Olympics very well, filling in my ABC Olympics’ book with race results and the great Mark Spitz and our own Shane Gould’s amazing exploits in the pool. Shane was just a few years older than me at the time and I was in awe of her achievements. The horror of the kidnappings and murders was real to me as a 10 year old, so it was interesting to see events dramatized here. We’ve been getting some great light relief from American Idol mid week as a cast of fools performs. They’re down to the top couple of hundred now, so the serious stuff will now begin.

Tune in next time to Dave and Cass’ TV and movie review!
Hopefully, we’ll have something else to talk about by then!
Photos: Sunny small Pillbox, some of my smiling kiddies and a picture just to mess with your heads!