Sunday, June 18, 2023























 Despite the lingering nightmare of an arduous flight back from the Middle East fresh in my memory and a vow never to travel that way again, I found myself ensconced, less than three weeks later, in a packed China Airlines economy class on the way to Taipei. At least it was only nine hours direct!

I'd booked this flight to our old stomping ground some time back, planning to fit in a couple of Friday nights to catch up with Marcus and precious little else, except a good wander round the city and surrounding areas to refamiliarize myself and reminisce a little about our much loved former home of 19 years. It's almost as if something life-changing had happened, such was the sense of urgency and panic with which I'd booked(!). 

The Madison Taipei was a slick, clean and luxurious business hotel in the glamorous Hsin Yi district, the glitzy new heart of the financial and commercial section of the city. I chose it because it wasn't near our old neighbourhood or workplace and I could be independent and incognito and just make plans to see some certain select friends when and where I wanted. 

I travelled almost exclusively on the MRT for the week and walked the city districts each day. The experience was exciting and foreign, yet at the same time, comfortable and familiar. As I expected, the general pulse of the city was easily recognisable and what I expected, but I had some jolting moments when I let my thoughts drift. Sometimes, I was shocked when I realised I didn't live in the city anymore and at other times I had an overwhelming sense of nostalgia and sadness. It was only transitory, however....I quickly readjusted and enjoyed being immersed in this wonderful city and culture.

Apart from two Friday nights drinking beers with Marcus and an arranged mix of guests like Michael, Dan and Matt, I had specific coffee catchups with Ange and Dan on a couple of other days and spent a lot of time with Marcus and Annie and the two boys. They kindly hosted me at their house a few times, we met at my hotel before having a meal and exploring my downtown area or I went hiking in the mountains with Marcus or met the family at a craft market on the weekend. They also put up with me for my final afternoon and evening before being transported back to the airport by the irrepressible Daniel who had greeted me with a hug when I arrived at customs the week before!

I must have been fitter a few years ago too! I was exhausted each day when I returned to the hotel after checking out the city. On different days I did half the thousand steps and Yangminshan ridge line track and the inordinately steep risers at Shangshan stone steps into the viewing forest beyond. My thighs were aching on the following mornings! I saw some awesome artwork at the art museum with various thought provoking displays on at the same time, and some quirky works at the contemporary art museum. Ximending streets were exciting and packed with street performers and the Chungshan district had it's usual busy beat and interesting streetscapes. I made forays into Uniqlo to source some product for Cassy and was courted by gorgeous retail assistants in the rarefied air of Tiffany's in the 101 building while browsing their wares! 

Bittersweet. That sums it up. My life now is different and the days spent living in Taipei were dominated by a busy work/life culture that meant everything was viewed through a different lens. This visit did highlight, however, what a great friendship I have with Marcus and that I miss our regular interactions. It also emphasised what an amazing city Taipei is. We were extremely lucky to live there for nearly two decades and to soak up its beauty and energy. I was really looking forward to getting home to see my darling...just one more plane ride to go!