Tuesday, December 17, 2013






There is always a plethora of strange and/or interesting sights in our travels around the city. Cassy's book club on Wednesday provided me with an opportunity to travel the neighbourhood in search of food, which in turn, led to an entirely more complicated adventure.

Eat Burger was my destination, but finding it chock-a-block I decided to catch the MRT down to KGB. I found a similar hectic crowd at KGB, but managed to squeeze in at the end of a long table and enjoy my "Kiwi Mate" (see pic 1). On the way back to the station I snapped a quick shot of another of Taipei's ubiquitous roast chicken restaurants. As you can see, the whole bird is presented in the window and consumed at the tables!

The recent re-configuration of the metro lines saw me getting on the wrong train home! I felt like a real tourist when I had to go many stops out of my way to change to a line going back to the central Taipei station. From there I had to navigate through again to the Tamsui line: a 20 minute trip turned into nearly an hour!

Wol and I had a few of the interestingly named "White Beer"s on Friday night. Nelson Mandela's death has been a huge topic on the news this week and we couldn't help wondering what the great man might make of this branding.

Cass needed to visit her "bag man" downtown on the weekend, so we MRTed down to Chungshan station and wandered the backstreets to the shop. Order firmly placed, we contemplated sourcing some dinner downtown (stumbling upon the strangely named "Fatty Burger") before deciding to get off in Shilin and visit the elegant "Toro's", where we ordered the 6 course set with the ribeye steak....mouthwatering! We caught yet another train to stop off at Wendel's to get some bread before wandering home in the twinkling hustle of Saturday night in the big city.

Photos: Last day with my kids,KGB menu, strung-up chickens,sexual harassment on the trains, white beer and the less than enticing "Fatty Burger"!

I'm off to Nagasaki to see my old mate Gurecki next week while Cassy will visit Paris, Reims, Lille and Strasbourg with her Mum.....have a great holiday break one and all!