Monday, April 15, 2013



One of my latest fads is to study and purchase various pieces of memorabilia, items, autographs etc. I've had an interest in history, especially family history for a while and have dabbled with little pieces, like making a frame for my grandfather's heirloom stopwatch and having a photo he gave me framed up, which features him on a dirt track motorcycle. One of the reasons this little interest is so attractive is my relationship with one of the local framing guys who does a sensationally good job at a rock bottom price.

I recently purchased a Led Zeppelin ticket (unused) from their Knepworth festival in England, dating from 1979, along with signed photographs of AC/DC and INXS. Regardless of purchase cost, these three items were framed to my specifications with mats and frames, a wooden backing is attached to all and a sturdy glass is used. The total for these three paintings plus my old school blazer pocket framed and double matted in a 3D form as well as a German postcard from our recent trip was A$50. Yes, all 5 items for $50. Now you probably realize why I am seeking anything that isn't nailed down to get a frame around it! The only slight problem with this is the sheer volume of framed material now existing in our apartment here: it's vast and rising.....our eventual shipment home will feature a lot of wood and glass!

One of the signature sets that I'd love to acquire is that of The Beatles. I was beaten in a recent auction to a full set of vintage signatures from 1963, intriguingly signed on the back of a cigarette packet during a one-off concert in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. I was so confident that my bid of $3,000 would be accepted, that I was already sourcing photographs to have it framed with. Naively, as it turns out. The autographs went for a final bid of $10,700! I also have my eye on The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Ella Fitzgerald and others, so wish me luck as I try to bargain hunt. I am currently following the signature (on three separate boxing gloves) of Hall of Fame boxers, Riddock Bowe, Thomas Hearns and Roy Jones Jnr. I'll need a bit of luck to get them for a reasonable price.

I included the top photo as a little curio of the type of behaviour we have and expect at our school. I designed this poster set about 5 years ago. printed it out and pieced it together before stapling it to the bulletin board outside my office. It is at the top of the stairs between the 3rd and 4th floor and sees 100s of kids pass it by each day. The interesting fact about this is that it is still in the same pristine condition as when I put it up all those years ago: I've even had to dust it a couple of times!! Oh, for this respect for public property in most places in the world, let alone busy school thoroughfares!

My birthday passed in quite incredibly quiet conditions this Sunday, on a dreary, rain splattered day. My darling cooked me a fine dinner and we watched the very entertaining Django Unchained and life was, in fact, pretty sweet! I also did my birthday push-up video.

The final photo is to prove to my parents-in-law that I did in fact obey their explicit instructions and open my card on the day...I resorted to a kidnapping proof style newspaper reference. I bathed in the love of my adoring friends and family on Facebook and had a good chat to Mum on the phone: thank you all for making this a pleasant day!