Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Again, I’m in a position where I need to offer a soft apology to any readers I may have, as this post is drastically late and may again fixate on my real or imagined woes. We’ve really had a largely uninspiring couple of weeks: we need to pop this apathetic bubble methinks!

The previous week at school was an interesting one. The lower division has engaged the services of the “world renowned” Columbia Teachers’ College reading and writing project as developers of our reading and writing workshops that we have implemented for the past 4 years. The details are many and in the main, perhaps boring for anyone not in that narrow teaching domain, so I’ll not list them here. What has fascinated me more than anything has been the fervor with which the arrival of the two representatives and their ideas has been met.

Initially swept along with the almost religious zeal that greeted their every pronouncement and teaching tactic, I reflected that most of what was being demonstrated was a re-badging of tried and true tactics of good teachers everywhere of any age. Intuitively, good teachers know how to nurture, cajole, encourage and also when to do these things to let the full potential of students flourish. My mum was taught to teach in different terms than us but found her own highly successful path. I’m sure my niece, if she decides to follow an elementary teaching path, will have different catch-phrases, terminology and jargon in her lexicon than Cass and me.  However, each teacher will learn that most basic truism: if you treat students with empathy and affection while you teach, they will learn for you, no matter what the flavour of the day demands you say or do in each lesson.

It was with this in mind that I gained some new passion in a core area that the presenters were concentrating on. It’s always great to grab a couple of little moments where you can think to yourself, “Oh yeh, I could definitely use that, or at least modify that to suit my style”. More often than not, when undergoing some professional development treatment, experienced teachers are reminded of things they used to do, but for some reason or another have forgotten, or have let fall out of their daily pedagogical “bag o’ tricks”. The disturbing thoughts I had through the week were not of these personal insights, but more of some of my colleagues and their re-actions to some of the “revelations”: surely they couldn’t be understanding some of these basic teaching concepts for the first time? Oh well, maybe they were (sad), or maybe they were just better actors than me (more possible)!

Cass has been an effervescent nurse for me through the week as my rib fracture pain and inconvenience vacillates between moderate and horrid. She has tried to cajole me when I get frustrated at not doing any exercise and has been bright and cheery in response to my more than occasional despondent moods. My worst fear came true on Sunday, (partly why this blog entry was delayed) when I started to cough and sneeze from a cold. At least Cassy’s dad had given me a good tip: just let the sneeze explode right out and don’t stifle it. The speech inhibiting, eyes-watering pain only lasted a minute or two, but it made me dread that next nose tickle!

Our terabyte external hard drive decided to have a mild spasm recently too and we currently have our computer doctor checking whether we can retrieve anything from it. All our photos from the last 5 years or so are on it, so we’re hoping for a positive outcome…at least we have a few on this blog of our travels if all else fails!

As my rib improves day by day, I’ve made a pact with myself to do something very nice for my darling wife this weekend to thank her for putting up with all my grumbling! We’re still on the same books as last week and photos are rather slim pickings…The Hello Kitty photo is exclusively for my sister and niece, Helen and Lucy, which I snapped at the local 7/11. The serviette holder photo is for Valerie....Cass wants to know if you want one of these? Finally, my owner's card for Racing Victoria....I'll leave that as a little mystery!