Sunday, October 23, 2011



While we were having lunch at Chili's on Saturday, we could gaze out from the big floor to ceiling windows over a pretty beautiful cityscape melting into impossibly steep tree covered hills. Perched right on top were just a few exclusive houses, barely hanging on to the slopes, looking like they're just waiting for a decent rumbling earthquake to loosen their precarious ties and send them tumbling down to the city below. Weird what you think about when you're chowing down on some chicken quesidillas isn't it? And no, I wasn't drinking either!

Anyway, we'd braved the restaurant with which I have a definite love/hate relationship. The food is fantastic and different from most places in Taipei, but it is nearly impossible to avoid running into numerous colleagues, parents of kids you teach and the kids themselves. Now, we do admit that they're generally cute little creatures and oh so lovely, but we do like to see them confined within the boundaries of the school! I tend to choke on my corn chips when I hear the loud "Hi Mr. (or Mrs.) Braggett" shouted right in my ear, only to look up to find the beaming faces of one of our adoring students and their family. I suppose there are a lot worst things in the world, but I tend to regard my Chili's visits as clandestine hit-and-run missions, much to Cassy's great amusement and admonishment.

Actually, I was more prepared than most times to do a Chili's visit, as I'd just had a very enjoyable, yet tiring, two days of parent teacher activity conferences. The kids I have this year seem even more delightful than usual and it is really great fun to report to the parents on all the little champion's achievements. The parents here are also, generally speaking, just so pleased with every effort we make as teachers and actually listen to our advice and act on it, making it a genuine partnership in their kid's learning. Wow, I sound like I'm throwing out a corporate line here, but it is true, and it is oh so refreshing to have your professionalism (what passes as!) respected and not called into judgement.

We've had a mini revival of summer today, with the sun out, unhindered by cloud and blazing away. I chose this day and right around midday to venture out to the nearby Taipei PE Teacher's College complex which is a gigantic affair over behind the baseball stadium. You might remember a few years ago we got caught up in a protest day at the stadium, as they protested against this very development (red protest bandanna wrapped around head?). Well "people power" Taiwan style is not very effective and they have built a more massive complex than was even originally envisaged! I'm just testing the waters with a bit of light jogging this week, ever mindful of my TWO previously torn and operated on medial ligaments. The weight room at school has seen some schedule changes and my previous sacrosanct hour on the treadmill has been taken away by some middle school PE classes: how dare they?!

The state of the art cushioned and perfectly formed track is just the thing for my delicate knees and so far, so good. During the week I've travelled over after work, only to be surrounded by incredibly fit, fast, lithe athletes whizzing past my shoulder on either side with annoying regularity! It's not so great a venue if you want to pretend you're still a relatively young, vibrant athlete! I soon learned to gravitate to the old man shuffle outside lanes!

Photos: Taiwan style scooter fashion: micro minis and knee high boots...gotta love it, men totally untethered on a very high rooftop...OH and S back home would have this place closed down in the blink of an eye. Virg'n Mary relaxing in the sun and a very rare photo of Mary before she ran away (she's scared of the camera for some reason)! More super signage, including the classic " no dice gambling" one! Fake flowers from a leaking gutter and a couple of shots of the track at the PE College.

Posting a bit early today as I'm off in a few minutes to watch the All Blacks beat France in the Rugby World Cup final...