Sunday, March 08, 2009






I decided half way up the steps today to take the dogleg to the right and walk along the ridge line of orchards and massive stand alone granite houses, all a strange mix of neo Chinese architecture (kind of over-the top and kitsch, with elements of minimalist Japanese design which is very cool: a strange mix) until I dipped down again to join the steps leading up to the South African embassy perched right at the very top near the Cultural College. This is the steepest and most demanding section of all the steps walks, but it is always very spare in traffic and today, I had it all to myself going up and then coming back down. When I reached the top of the steepest section I was greeted by an amazing sight, in one of the few times that I didn’t have my camera handy! A car was perched precariously on a 45 degree angle facing down the incredibly steep slope, showing its underbelly to be and caught on an impossibly frail looking fruit tree. I had more than a double take thinking the accident might have only just happened, but there was no one in the car and all was quiet. I just found it hard to believe that the car was left there without being secured: I expected at any minute to hear the crack of a trembling branch and see the car go careering down through the bush and into the houses below. I wonder if those residents knew the car was there??

The walk was a long and intense one for me as it was about my only exercise this weekend. I decided not to seek the stormy surf out and just did the walk then a little bit of grocery shopping this afternoon. Cassy is a poor pitiful creature at the moment, having been struck down again by sickness, this time a totally different yet doubly virulent variety. She is as weak as a kitten and sensibly has made the call not to go to work tomorrow. Normally an easy call in her condition, but not so this week as the middle school camps are on. They are very hectic and involve lots of activities and walking large distances. I’m going to drive her up to Fulong on Tuesday morning before breakfast if she feels vaguely recovered, and then she will need to do “light duties” only if she can manage it.

Yesterday was a loathsome day of incessant rain and cold temperatures, the wind adding an annoying whip to the mix of conditions. We needed to struggle out and get to the doctor. These are the times when I regret not having a car in the garage, able to get sick people to the doctor etc. We have really got used to a very different lifestyle than the one we enjoy at home. Anyway, Cass saw Dr. Tseng, assured him that she wasn’t suffering from any other ailments that he could test her for, and then we received the strange little packets of pills to be taken 4 times a day. He’s a crack up this guy. One time when Cass went to see him, he had my chart in front of him and was asking her some very strange questions! We did enjoy a quiet time in the evening and really enjoyed watching the Aussies fight back against the South Africans in the second cricket test. I commented to Cass that we’re actually enjoying more cricket than we would at home at the moment. Our warp speed internet connection with no download limits (gotta love Taiwan!) provides us with a steady stream for virtually any sporting event in the world that is being streamed.

The weekend began with me attending a gathering of people that I don’t normally associate with. One of our teaching couples recently had a terrible time medically when the woman had a very bad cancer scare. While now back from a long and painful treatment regime in the States and slowly recovering, I did write to them a few times, just about what was happening at school and socially amongst my peer group. I included a few anecdotes from the classes I taught and didn’t neglect to keep them up to speed with all the political machinations of the school! To cut a long story short, Friday’s little cocktail party was to say thanks to all the people who helped them get through the ordeal, and I felt quite proud to have been nominated as one of them. I enjoyed a few drinks, some lovely nibblies, had a good chat with a few people I don’t often see and generally marveled at the new apartment they have moved into. It must cost a bomb, but it is very cool! Cass sensibly decided not to spread her awful sickness around, especially on the recuperating Joyce, so stayed at home to rest.

Well, all in all, I’m very pleased that Cassy has decided to not go tomorrow: she’s shuffling around in a much weakened state indeed. I didn’t take the camera with me at all this weekend, so I’ll include yet another shot of the girls taken yesterday as they have commandeered the blue fluffy blanket. Also, one of some kiddies at the lantern festival and more of our river walk last weekend.