Sunday, March 06, 2005

Ever since my lack of what anyone could call a semblance of productive work produced in high school, I haven’t been a great fan of music blaring when doing work which requires some thought. If this entry appears disjointed or downright abysmal it is because I have decided to write it while listening to my play list entitled “Loud and Fast” on my iPod. I’m sure Mum remembers the volume at which that high school music was played, as do my siblings. I am trying to emulate it here, as Cassy has just ducked out to Jason’s and I’m left alone tapping away to an eclectic mix of Metallica, JET, Spiderbait and some golden oldies like AC/DC and Midnight Oil. Oh and there’s some Kiss too Mum…. bet you wish you were here!

My elevated mood is partly due to the finish of another assignment for one of two courses I’m doing concurrently, but more due to the fact that the weather, while still cold, has lifted; leaving behind beautiful sunny days minus even a puff of cloud, crisp days with a weak but undisturbed sun. What a treat it was for Carl and me to sit out at Jinshan point this morning, quality left handers peeling off, smooth ocean and an intense blue sky. The only downside was the constant jockeying for position in the crowded lineup and the utter contempt that the locals seem to have for surf etiquette. While lovely, friendly chaps who say “sorry!” every time they drop in, or indiscriminately throw their boards away when we are paddling behind them, we find we have to hold our tongues and our tempers quite often. We’ve finally realized that they surf the same way that they drive. The “I’m all right Jack, #@$* you” rule is very much in evidence. I was foully fin-chopped by a drop-in today and while I’ve got a tasty little cut on my shin, I just got back on board and paddled out again. The trouble is, we just can’t bring ourselves to do the same thing! Too well trained I suppose and with the faint spectre of Times past when someone may take exception and try to beat the daylights out of us!! The local boys are really friendly guys, getting better each week: I just dread what will happen to them if they take these same surf manners anywhere overseas!

What do you think so far? I haven’t concentrated at all with this frantic music blaring…I’m raving a bit I suspect. Cathy has had her baby! Ella Marie Brekke was born 5 weeks premature and sent everyone into a tiz. Mum and baby are doing very well and we’ve been scrambling at work to cover Chad’s classes. He has had a sub of course, but I’ve tried to take care of a few extra little things for him. We were going to visit, but Chad has been hard to catch and we don’t want to arrive un-announced at this crazy time for them.

Cass was set a photo assignment when she went to Jason’s (from which she has returned and the music has been turned down quite a few notches) I asked her to take a photo of a peculiar Taipei phenomenon which has baffled us for the many months it has been occurring. An outlet of the ubiquitous (in Japan, at least) chain “Mister Donut” has opened its first Taipei store opposite Takashimaya. The curious thing is that it always has a long snaking queue leading to its doors. In the most uncomfortable wind, coldest frosts, the most intensely driving rain, still they stand and wait, sometimes for four hours or more! The store has limited the amount of donuts to 100 (!) per customer to try to satisfy the voracious lines. I mean, really, what is going on? These donuts are pretty good, but I’m not going to queue for them! Also spied was a rare Taipei sight, a proper Ducati motorbike amongst the buzzing mass of scooters. How about Tienmu’s answer to the Louvre pyramid? Announcing a grand entrance to Takashimaya, why, we could be in Paris, couldn’t we?!
Perhaps I might dispense with the music next time: this writing has appalled even me. Taipei Life might be bizarre, but it is never dull!